Sunday 9 July 2017

9 July 1989: Acid in the Calico

  1. Soul II Soul featuring Caron Wheeler: Back to Life (However Do You Want Me)
  2. Sonia: You'll Never Stop Me from Loving You
  3. London Boys: London Nights
  4. The Beautiful South: Song for Whoever
  5. Pet Shop Boys: It's Alright
  6. Rufus & Chaka Khan: Ain't Nobody '89
  7. Gladys Knight: Licence to Kill
  8. Bobby Brown: On Our Own
  9. Bette Midler: Wind Beneath My Wings
  10. Prince: Batdance
  11. Karyn White: Superwoman
  12. A Guy Called Gerald: Voodoo Ray
  13. Queen: Breakthru
  14. Guns 'N Roses: Patience
  15. Cyndi Lauper: I Drove All Night
  16. Double Trouble & The Rebel MC: Just Keep Rockin'
  17. M: Pop Muzik '89
  18. Michael Jackson: Liberian Girl
  19. Monie Love: Grandpa's Party
  20. Sinitta: Right Back Where We Started From
  21. Jason Donovan: Sealed with a Kiss
  22. De La Soul: Say No Go
  23. U2: All I Want Is You
  24. Donna Allen: Joy and Pain
  25. Waterfront: Cry
  26. D Mob featuring LRS: It Is Time to Get Funky
  27. Danny Wilson: The Second Summer of Love
  28. Kirsty MacColl: Days
  29. LA Mix: Get Loose
  30. Gloria Estefan: Don't Wanna Lose You
  31. Norman Cook: Blame It on the Bassline / Won't Talk About It
  32. Guns 'N Roses: Sweet Child o' Mine [remix]
  33. Simply Red: A New Flame
  34. Madonna: Express Yourself
  35. The Bangles: Be with You
  36. Clannad featuring Bono: In a Lifetime
  37. The Cult: Edie (Ciao Baby)
  38. Public Enemy: Fight the Power
  39. Fuzzbox: Pink Sunshine
  40. Blow Monkeys featuring Sylvia Tella: Choice
~~~~~
We're now less than a month away from our return to Canada - and, with it, the end of this blog - and I have to confess that I feel at something of a loss when trying to come up with anything substantial to say about the contemporary music scene. This isn't without precedence: back in April I was making a habit out of dissing the Top 40 but at least that selection of songs I didn't care for inspired me to spew some venom; now we're in July and all I feel is numb.

The singles on the hit parade don't help matters. I was thoroughly sick of Back to Life by this point (which, incidentally, brings to mind how easy it is to get bored by a month of one song on top - even when it happens to be a good one) and had little to no interest in the ever increasing number of bloodless American hits soundtracking movies I had no desire to see. Michael Jackson's first seven singles from Bad failed to raise me from my torpor so Liberian Girl, the eighth, didn't have much hope. I didn't care about the likes of Queen (still don't in fact) and Madonna and some of the new entries from Gloria Estefan and Simply Red were just more of the same. (The fact that I'm reduced to bringing up such acts speaks volumes to the chart's ennui)

With all due disrespect to the dullards occupying the chart, these latter stages of our year in England seem defined by an overall indifference on my part. A quick glance at my dad's notes from the time is a record of stuff I chose to take a pass on:

     Sun Jul 9               Train to London, walk: Southwark of Shakespear (sic.) and Dickens
     Wed Jul 12           Drove to dinner with John and Mary S__________
     Sat Jul 15             Drove to The Hoop in Stock and Summer Fair at Mayflower

Mum and dad invited me to come along for all three of these outings and each time I shrugged, declined and flipped on the telly. Not once did it occur to me that we only had so much time left and that I had to make the most of it. A Shakespear/Dickens walk meant little to me, dinner with a kind older couple seemed supremely unimportant and the last thing I wanted to do was spend a Saturday at my school. (My mum was especially disappointed that I spurned the Mayflower Summer Fair; she had a knack for bringing it up as much as possible for the next couple years) I was now twelve and more content just to do my own thing: lots of telly, walking over to Laindon Town Centre for a chocolate bar and to leaf through the records, just being an increasingly good-for-nothing adolescent.

Was this indifference on my part, however, getting to people? Were my chums at school fed up with me? It was about this time that I began to notice that Neil, Richard and Sean were avoiding me. I was initially taken aback when our General Science teacher Mr McLean began to allow us to sit with who we wanted, rather than being grouped by alphabetical order: the three of them promptly snapped up a table, leaving me reduced to sharing with Grant and the other Neil, boys I kind of liked but who couldn't fail to leave me feeling like I was being left out. Then, they began going off without me during playtime and lunch. Why don't they want me around? What did I do? Something was up. I suddenly didn't feel quite so indifferent.

~~~~~
young Paul's favourite: It's Alright
older Paul's retro pick: It's Alright

No comments:

Post a Comment